New designs are always coming up in the body art industry and steampunk tattoo designs is a proof of this ever-changing environment within the industry. Whilst steampunk art has been around since the advent of steam power in the eighteenth century, the design has only gained traction in the tattoo industry in recent years as enthusiasts yearn for more tattoo design options.
In this article, we will discuss the background of steampunk art, the meaning of steampunk tattoo designs, the perfect place for this kind of tattoo, and some design ideas we saw on the web.
Table of Contents
Steampunk: What is it?
Steampunk is a subgenre of science fiction or science fantasy that incorporates technology and the aesthetics of nineteenth-century machinery. Its signature retro-futuristic look has been inspired by nineteenth-century people’s vision of the future where it is often associated with the fashion and aesthetic design of the day.
This sub-genre is often featured in novels and films set in a dystopian future where humanity has lost all its current technological knowledge and must start again from scratch. Some notable literary works that feature steampunk elements are the works of H.G. Wells like the “War of the Worlds” where it features a dystopian world that is about to be consumed by alien life. Another famous steampunk author is Jules Verne with works such as “Journey to the Center of the Earth” and “The Mysterious Island” which both had been adapted to film that also heavily features steampunk technology.
Steampunk can be opposed to another subgenre of science fiction which is cyberpunk that incorporates ultra-futuristic technology and aesthetics. These two often clash in the art department of the science fiction genre but they are more or less the same.
Steampunk Tattoo’s Meaning
The majority of tattoo enthusiasts who has a steampunk tattoo will not have any particular reason as to why they would get this tattoo design. They would just have it inked because of its cool and unique aesthetic value. Those that know this science fiction’s subculture, however, would get this tattoo because of their fascination with steam-powered machinery and post-apocalyptic future. One may also argue that they have steampunk tattoos because of their appreciation of Victorian Culture.
Though the meanings given above is the majority’s perception of steampunk tattoo designs, others may also contend that steampunk tattoos are a way to show your defiance or rebellion in current cultural trends. This is said to be shown by having outdated technology which means your world is different from what is generally acceptable.
Where to Place my Steampunk Tattoo?
Steampunk tattoo designs are known to be very versatile in body placement which is one of the reasons why it is gaining in popularity within tattoo enthusiast circles aside from its aesthetics. Although the tattoo design is versatile, the most common body placements are on the chest, sleeves area, arms, and back areas. Other body placements can also be made but the aforementioned body parts are the usual locations for this kind of tattoo design.
Steampunk Tattoo: Designs and Ideas
One may wonder, “What are the usual designs of steampunk tattoos?”. This thought is often warranted because steampunk tattoo designs are just blooming in popularity. To answer this though, there is no specific design to steampunk tattoos which is why it is becoming popular. The creative freedom this tattoo design presents to the enthusiast and the artist is unimaginable. Your imagination is the limit as one tattoo artist said regarding steampunk tattoos.
If this design is creatively unbinding, then what does it have that can make a tattoo design be called steampunk? Well, steampunk tattoos will always have machines as the main theme of its design. Artists usually make a simple object into a steampunk by introducing machine parts in its design like cogs, wheels, pistons, and other machine parts. Imagine the inner workings of a mechanical watch but in different shapes and forms. That is steampunk design.
Now that you have an idea to steampunk tattoos, here are some steampunk tattoo designs that will make you squeal to have one inked.
1. A steampunk winged machine tattooed on the back.
2. A full sleeve steampunk robotic arm tattoo.
3. Another full sleeve robotic steampunk arm tattoo.
4. A highly detailed back tattoo of a steampunk ribcage.
5. A large rib tattoo with a steampunk design.
6. A colored tattoo of a plague doctor’s mask with steampunk detailing.
7. A steampunk tattoo of a plague doctor.
8. Another watercolor tattoo of a plague doctor’s mask with steampunk embellishment.
9. A tattoo of a mad hatter with steampunk details.
10. A large back tattoo of a steampunk machinery.
11. A watercolor tattoo of a steampunk-designed heart.
12. A head tattoo of cogs and wheels.
13. A steampunk compass tattooed on the hand.
14. A half-sleeve tattoo of a steampunk machinery.
15. A sleeve tattoo of a gorilla with steampunk clothes and accessories.
16. A medium-sized tattoo of a cog with other steampunk embellishments.
17. A rose gold steampunk watch tattoed on the thigh.
18. A highly artistic rendition of a watch with steampunk elements.
19. A large arm tattoo of a gold clock with other steampunk machinery.
20. A beautifully crafted chest tattoo of a steampunk clock.
21. A sleeve tattoo with a steampunk design.
22. A back tattoo of a bird with steampunk elements.
23. A colored steampunk back tattoo.
24. A sleeve tattoo with a steampunk design.
25. A steampunk sleeve tattoo of a clock and compass.